“BIG DADDY” DON GARLITS NAMED HONORARY LEGEND OF O'REILLY AUTO PARTS ROUTE 66 NHRA NATIONALS, JULY 7-10
Joliet, Ill. (March 25, 2011) - NHRA Drag Racing’s most prolific pioneer, “Big Daddy” Don Garlits, will be the O’Reilly Auto Parts Route 66 NHRA Nationals honorary legend for the NHRA’s season long 60th Anniversary celebration. The driver of the famed Swamp Rat dragsters, who earned three NHRA Top Fuel world championships and claimed 35 national event victories, will participate in fan meet and greets and sign autographs throughout the weekend. Garlits was named the number one drag racer during NHRA’s 50th Anniversary celebration ten years ago.
“Big Daddy” challenged the status quo throughout his historic career. From his trendsetting success of the rear-engine dragster to the more recent mono-strut wing and closed cockpit dragster, the only constant is Garlits' passion to change, refine and improve the performance of his race cars. Garlits remains active in the sport today, competing in the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series Stock Eliminator category. Garlits also runs the Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing in Ocala, Florida.
Tickets for the O’Reilly Auto Parts Route 66 NHRA Nationals go on-sale Saturday, March 26. To order tickets, call (888) 629-RACE or visit www.route66raceway.com.
- D'ARCY BUICK GMC ROUTE 66 CLASSIC TO FEATURE WILL COUNTY VS. GRUNDY COUNTY GRUDGE MATCHES
- 2016 TEST & TUNE SEASON KICKS OFF AT ROUTE 66 RACEWAY
- SNAKE AND MONGOOSE TO ATTEND ROUTE 66 NHRA NATIONALS AT ROUTE 66 RACEWAY JULY 8-10
- Full 2016 Schedule Announced For Route 66 Raceway
- ROUTE 66 RACEWAY RECEIVES 2015 NMCA TRACK OF THE YEAR AWARD