“BIG DADDY” DON GARLITS NAMED HONORARY LEGEND OF O'REILLY AUTO PARTS ROUTE 66 NHRA NATIONALS, JULY 7-10
Joliet, Ill. (March 25, 2011) - NHRA Drag Racing’s most prolific pioneer, “Big Daddy” Don Garlits, will be the O’Reilly Auto Parts Route 66 NHRA Nationals honorary legend for the NHRA’s season long 60th Anniversary celebration. The driver of the famed Swamp Rat dragsters, who earned three NHRA Top Fuel world championships and claimed 35 national event victories, will participate in fan meet and greets and sign autographs throughout the weekend. Garlits was named the number one drag racer during NHRA’s 50th Anniversary celebration ten years ago.
“Big Daddy” challenged the status quo throughout his historic career. From his trendsetting success of the rear-engine dragster to the more recent mono-strut wing and closed cockpit dragster, the only constant is Garlits' passion to change, refine and improve the performance of his race cars. Garlits remains active in the sport today, competing in the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series Stock Eliminator category. Garlits also runs the Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing in Ocala, Florida.
Tickets for the O’Reilly Auto Parts Route 66 NHRA Nationals go on-sale Saturday, March 26. To order tickets, call (888) 629-RACE or visit www.route66raceway.com.
- O'Reilly Auto Parts to present 2015 Test and Tunes at Route 66 Raceway
- ROUTE 66 RACEWAY ANNOUNCES FULL 2015 DRAG STRIP SCHEDULE
- Hollywood Casino Joliet To Sponsor Inaugural Snocross Event At Route 66 Raceway!
- Route 66 Raceway and Chicagoland Speedway Donate Over 70,000 in 2014
- BRUCE DAMEWOOD TO REPRESENT ROUTE 66 RACEWAY AT NHRA SUMMIT RACING SERIES NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP