Famed Drag Racing Artist Kenny Youngblood to Serve as Route 66 Classic Grand Marshal
Joliet, Ill. – August 2, 2011 – Known the world over for his unrivaled talents in capturing the aura of drag racing’s glory days on canvas, artist Kenny Youngblood will serve as the Grand Marshal during the Route 66 Classic at Route 66 Raceway on Friday, August 12. Like a trip back in time, the Route 66 Classic is a themed Test & Tune that will feature all makes, models and years with a special emphasis on the nostalgic. From the drag racing to the cruise-in car corral, the Route 66 Classic will be a full bore, quarter-mile trip down memory lane.
As Grand Marshal, Youngblood will be part of the action, interacting with race fans and racers over the course of the evening. Youngblood also has the honor of selecting and naming the first Legend’s Choice award winner – an award given to Youngblood’s favorite nostalgia drag car of the evening. Any nostalgia car that runs down the track during the Test & Tune will be eligible for the award. Youngblood has a keen eye for quality, so the winner will not only enjoy the honor being the first Legend’s Choice award winner but also the satisfaction of being Youngblood’s favorite nostalgia drag car of the evening.
In addition to awarding the Legend’s Choice, Youngblood will serve as the Honorary Starter, flipping the switch and giving the green-light to a pair of nostalgia drag cars. Youngblood will be in the lead-car for the Cruise-In Parade that will travel from below the Route 66 Raceway suite tower tunnel and down the return road in front of the grandstands. He will also be signing autographs and calling some of the action from the announcer’s booth.
Like a trip back in time, the Route 66 Classic is a themed Test & Tune that will feature all makes, models and years with a special emphasis on the nostalgic. From the drag racing to the cruise-in car corral, the Route 66 Classic will be a full bore, quarter-mile trip down memory lane.
The Test & Tune style Route 66 Classic puts the racer in the spotlight for a fun and enjoyable evening of drag racing. The non-competition based format gives way to a relaxing evening of tire roasting. The event is an open Test & Tune so any year, make or model of car is encouraged to. All 1972 and older cars will be paired together in specific staging lanes to insure the vintage sheet metal is racing side-by-side. These same cars will be eligible for the Legend’s Choice award, as selected and awarded by Grand Marshal, Kenny Youngblood.
Want to cruise-in with your hot rod but not run on the dragstrip? All 1972 and older cars are invited into our preferred parking, Cruise-In Car Corral on the asphalt behind the grandstands. The Cruise-In Car Corral will parade through the tunnel and down the return road later in the evening with their photo being snapped and uploaded online.
· Gates will open around 4:00 PM with time trials from 5-10:00 PM.
· All participants and spectators will enter Gate 11, off of Route 53 (Historic Route 66).
· Racer and spectator admission is $15. Ages 12 & younger are FREE.
· A run card to race your car down the dragstrip is $25 for the evening.
- Papa John’s Signs Three-Year Agreement to Serve as Official Pizza of Chicagoland Speedway and Route 66 Raceway
- NHRA LEGENDS TO CONVERGE AT ROUTE 66 RACEWAY IN CELEBRATION OF THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF FUNNY CAR JULY 7-10
- D'ARCY BUICK GMC ROUTE 66 CLASSIC TO FEATURE WILL COUNTY VS. GRUNDY COUNTY GRUDGE MATCHES
- 2016 TEST & TUNE SEASON KICKS OFF AT ROUTE 66 RACEWAY
- SNAKE AND MONGOOSE TO ATTEND ROUTE 66 NHRA NATIONALS AT ROUTE 66 RACEWAY JULY 8-10