Super Cars Roll from Behind Velvet Rope & Onto Dragstrip
The iconic super cars of the 1960s and ‘70s took to Route 66 Raceway’s quarter-mile dragstrip for a gear jamming afternoon down memory lane. The Yenko, Nickey, Harrell, Motion and COPO name plates were abundant and the proud owners of such big buck hot rods were not afraid to roast the tires and have at it.
Overcast skies gave way to sun shine for the better part of the Friday afternoon, further exaggerating the show car shine and shimmer of the ultra-rare American muscle under sun light. The July 29 event was the 14th consecutive running of the Supercar Reunion and its first stop at Route 66 Raceway. The annual convention of Chevys was an entertaining display that was equal parts history and horsepower. Watching the racing is only half the story. Not until you walk the pits and talk to the car owners do you know the full story. Upon striking up conversation, you soon learn that you aren’t looking at just any ’69 Camaro. No, you’re looking at a collector’s car that could roll across the auction block and yield six-figures. Instead, such super rare cars are rolling through the water box, striking the hides and burning rubber. You ask, what’s the sense in using and abusing a museum worthy artifact? The truth is, the owners know fully well that their cars are more than just conventional sheet metal. They know they are fortunate to own such prize possessions. But these cars come with a responsibility. A responsibility to not park the car in a climate controlled garage that will never see the light of day. But a responsibility to share their cars with the world – because no where else on the planet can you see a gathering of super car drag racing like we witnessed at Route 66 Raceway on Friday, July 29, 2011.
- Papa John’s Signs Three-Year Agreement to Serve as Official Pizza of Chicagoland Speedway and Route 66 Raceway
- NHRA LEGENDS TO CONVERGE AT ROUTE 66 RACEWAY IN CELEBRATION OF THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF FUNNY CAR JULY 7-10
- D'ARCY BUICK GMC ROUTE 66 CLASSIC TO FEATURE WILL COUNTY VS. GRUNDY COUNTY GRUDGE MATCHES
- 2016 TEST & TUNE SEASON KICKS OFF AT ROUTE 66 RACEWAY
- SNAKE AND MONGOOSE TO ATTEND ROUTE 66 NHRA NATIONALS AT ROUTE 66 RACEWAY JULY 8-10