Sullivan Brothers Dominate; Storms Expedite Inaugural Running of Downright Diesels
The nation's finest diesel drag racers participated in the Inaugural Downright Diesels at Route 66 Raceway on Saturday, August 4. What was to be a full days worth of diesel racing was hastily completed with the looming threat of incoming severe weather.
The Sullivan brothers of Stanford, Kentucky dominated the Pro Street category. Seth Sullivan drove his 1998 Dodge Ram to an 9.424 quarter-mile elapse time at 148.94 miles per hour to overcome brother Micah Sullivan.
Murfreesboro, Tennessee's Ryan Casserly drove his ultra-consistent 1999 F250 to the ET Bracket win over Dean Sheldon of Sussek, Wisconsin. Local drag racer Jon McCorkle of Monee, Illinois reached the semi-finals in his Duramax powered 2009 Silverado.
After the Marty Thacker driven Hypermax Diesel dragster experienced mechanical troubles during the Friday Night Test & Tune preceeding Downright Diesels, the Jared Jones driven Scheid Diesel dragster was the only remaining Pro Dragster to see eliminations on Saturday. Jones, who laid down an astounding 6.88 elapse time at 199 miles per hour had to settle for a 7.313 at 185.10 mph on Saturday. Jones, of Montezuma, Indiana drove a 2004 Spitzer built dragster owned by Dan Scheid.
Thank you to the diesel enthusiasts who withstood the hot August day to witness Route 66 Raceway's first diesel drag race. Your patronage and support of diesel motorsports is promising for this new, emerging event. Another special thank you to Michael McGlothlin of Diesel Power Magazine for covering the event.
- Memorial Service for John C. Scannell
- THE FOUR SEASONS HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING BURNDOWN AT SUNDOWN! RETURNS TO ROUTE 66 RACEWAY IN 2014 – SATURDAY, JUNE 7
- THE O’REILLY AUTO PARTS ROUTE 66 NHRA NATIONALS RETURN TO ROUTE 66 RACEWAY IN 2014 – JUNE 26-29
- This Weekend at Route 66 Raceway: Test and Tune, Junior Drag Final and Team Demo
- Ken and Chiyo Hirata Named Honorary Legends for the Hollywood Casino Joliet Route 66 Classic